FSSAI is an abbreviation used for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. FSSAI license is mandatory before starting any food business. All the manufacturers, traders, restaurants who are involved in food business must obtain a 14-digit registration or a license number which must be printed on food packages.
This step is taken by government to ensure that food products undergo certain quality checks, thereby reducing the instances of adulteration, substandard products and improve accountability of manufacturers. FSSAI Registration is done through StartupEase LLP.
Types of FSSAI License
Businesses engaged in food activities are required to apply for different type of food license based on turnover, scale of business and the type of activity. Such businesses must apply for either of the licenses (central or state) or simple registration. The criteria specified in rules are as follows:
FSSAI Basic registration
This is required for small business or startups which have annual turnover below Rs.12 lakhs. Basic registration can be upgraded to state license as your sales graph increases.
FSSAI State license
This license is applicable to mid-sized companies which have annual turnover between Rs.12-20 crores.
FSSAI Central license
This license is applicable typically on large business with annual turnover above Rs.20 crores. It is also required in cases where you need to supply at the government offices or import / export food products.
FSSAI Documents Required
Documents required to obtain FSSAI License
- Declaration form
- Authority letter
- Copy of Property paper (If owned property)
- Copy of Rent agreement (If rented property)
- Food Safety Management System plan or certificate
- Electricity/ Water bill (Business Place)
- Copy of Aadhaar Card/ Voter identity card of Proprietor/ Partners/ Director
- Form IX: Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution
Additional document for Manufacturer
- Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit
- List of Equipment and Machinery
- List of food category desired to be manufactured
- Pesticide residues report of water
- Upload Production unit photograph